Our plea to local governments
- We encourage all local government officials and workers, both elected and hired, to learn about the URM issue in their community.
- We ask you to revise or remove any “historic district” restrictions or similar laws or ordinances that impede retrofitting or replacing URMs.
- We encourage passage of strong geologic hazard ordinances in your city or county.
- We encourage strict enforcement of all building codes.
- We encourage detailed geotechnical investigations be completed and followed for all public buildings and structures.
- We encourage you to have all buildings in your jurisdiction evaluated for earthquake safety, and then take action to remediate identified problems.
- A major earthquake is going to tear down precarious old buildings sooner or later; shouldn’t it happen while no one is inside them?